Wednesday, March 9, 2011

On to the Next (And the Next)

.
(Insert your favorite overwhelmed noise here)

Life is meant to be lived, and I am doing so many exciting things, but I'm feeling sad I don't have the time to spend with the people in my life I think are really awesome: new friends, old friends, family...This is my quiet shout out to you.  I wish I could be more present in your lives right now, but here are the reasons I am going to disappear for the next 9 weeks:

Final Practicum: I am teaching a technique class to the freshmen on Monday.  I have to have each combination planned with 2-3 overarching themes and/or purposes they all build up to.  Meticulously planned, researched, and spelled correctly (in French), this class should represent everything I've learned about ballet pedigogy in my Grad career.

Oral Examination Materials: Though my orals aren't actually scheduled 'til May, I have to have a binder for each of my committee members containing my process papers, notes, documentation, reports, paperwork, DVDs, etc. for all my projects and choreography on March 28th to give them time to read through and grade it beforehand.  I guess I should finally write those papers, huh Adam?

OPERA!!!: L'incoronazione de Poppea rehearsals start March 28.  I am so excited!!  Though I will be spending 25-30 hours/week outside my normal schedule working on this production, as AD and choreographer, I have a significantly larger role this year than last.  In addition to recording blocking, taking notes for the director, and coordinating with the awesome Stage Manager to make sure rehearsals and produciton run smoothlly, I'll be choreographing a small dance scene as well as create some of the blocking for supporting characters.  Yup, actual directing type stuff.

Grad Show: Opens the week before Poppea and as un-official general manager of the production I'll be coordinating fundraising/casting/tech rehearsals and other produciton business as well as choreographing my final work as a student at the U.  Ah! I still have to sell add space for the program.  Anyone want to buy an advert?

Find a Job!!:  I've submitted 16 applications for employment, but I have not recieved any notice so far other than "thank you for your application".  (I think I can, I think I can....) Needless to say, an ongoing project.

Teaching:  The Musical Theater (MTP) students are a blast to work with!  I'm creating the combinations for their final practicum demonstration to faculty of the Theatre and Ballet Depts. (also: don't tell, but I'm plotting something special for April Fool's day ;)  TDC kids are going strong through competition and recital season!  They're working really hard even with all the stress and injuries.  I'm just working to keep them strong...and safe :)

Search Committee: As the Graduate Student SAC I am privileged to sit on the Committee to find a new Chair for the Ballet Dept.  It's giving me new insight on my own job search, but mostly, I'm just really excited to be able to help find someone who will benefit the future of this Dept., its students and faculty, and lead them in a positive direction.

School: It's hard to believe that on top of all this I still have things to do, but I am taking actual classes this semester that still have papers, projects, quizzes, and finals to worry about. (yay.)

Now for my favorite thing:  My institute class is incredible.  Awesome. Awe-inspiring.  Each time I go I learn something that makes me wonder how I could have been so ignorant to the wealth of light and knowledge God has given us.  I never realized the Old Testament could teach me so much about Jesus Christ.  It has been overwhelming and life-changing, and I am so glad it was the one class that worked with my schedule.


If you are reading this, I love you!  I miss you!  I'll be back after May 6!!!

2 comments:

  1. Wow...and I thought I was busy...good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss you too! Let's plan something FUN FUN FUN after you are DONE DONE DONE!!!

    ReplyDelete