.
01/29/2011
When I woke up for work the sky was filled with white clouds that hung rather low to the ground. It was late enough for the sun to be out, but the whiteness of the clouds created an artificial brightness that made it feel more like a cloudy noon than a foggy sunrise. I am partial to overcast days, so I rather cheerily greeted the dense fog and dressed for the possibility of snow. When I got on I-15 and began heading south toward the point of the mountain the light shining through the fog became lavender and the ground began to glow brighter--more yellow. I couldn’t see the sun, but the fog was being stirred around by the winds off the point and would sporadically reveal flashes of blue sky.
I expected to round the corner to a bright winter morning that had been blown clean of haze, but instead I was plunged into clouds so low and thick they looked like pulled cotton hanging in columns from the sky barely 20 feet off the ground. Again the light changed. It was no longer flat and white as it had been over my house in Sandy, nor was it lavender or yellow as it had briefly been near the point, it was…somehow warmer and darker than it had been. It was slightly pink--or pale orange--and the denseness of the fog decreased the intensity of the sunlight that was able to get through to the ground and made it appear as a soft grey.
As I drove to Orem the fog closed in around the lanes in front of me like a tunnel. I could barely see 100 yards down the road, yet somehow it felt bright all around. Strangest of all, by the time I drove in to the parking lot at work, the fog had settled, the clouds had mostly blown away, and the light from the sun resembled the clear, pale, lemon I am used to in the early morning. I wish I had had time to drive more slowly and get a good look at what changes were actually going on around me, but they all happened so quickly I doubt that would have done much good.
This morning was a puzzlement. Each time the light changed, I thought I knew what kind of morning it was going to be, and my attitude automatically adjusted for it. Overcast mornings always make me feel excited in anticipation of what sort of storm could brew up later in the day. Mornings rich in color like purple or yellow give me pause, and cause me to look more closely at the familiar world around me to see how it is affected by the changes. Dark and foggy mornings generally make me feel like eating kiddie cereal wrapped in a quilt in front of a long movie. Ultimately, however, this morning surprised me by ending up just like so many others I have known, and in consequence, I had no idea how to feel about it.
How's that for a ponderous metaphor for life?


No comment, really just want you to know I love you! "Twas fun to have our "girl time" yesterday!
ReplyDelete