Thursday, April 7, 2011

Loving the Opera

.
Rehearsals for L'Incoronazione di Poppea are now in full swing, and it is awesome to be able to work with such talented and wonderful people.  Really, the singers are so warm and friendly--and just beautiful to listen to.  Who would have thought that 350yr-old music could still give me goosebumps?

Jeffrey Price, our musical director/conductor is a bastion of musical knowledge and ability.  I learn something every day from him.  Today, it was the correct accenting of hemiola in a score that was written with no time signatures.  Our production crew, Stage Manager Heather Meyers and ASM's Ryan Smythe and Passion Garcia are truly dedicated to the production.  It is a joy working with them. (and sharing caramel corn, umbrellas, and akward moment stories ; )

Most of all, I am inspired by our director, Michael Scarola.  It is rare to find such a genuinely warm and caring human being.  He is teaching me so much about how to encourage the artistry in each performer.  He never criticises anyone, but pays them the compliment of regarding all their actions in rehearsal as artistic choices.  He discusses these with the singers and offers them ways to "play" or to challenge themselves with their acting rather than trying to control or micro-manage the development of their character.  He has a great eye for how to get things working well onstage and a great sense of who needs to be gently guided forward in their progression as an actor, and who needs a little more of a kick! 

Michael has been very encouraging to me too (something I've been needing at the end of a very stressful school year!).  When he took a short hiatus from Poppea to jump into Arizona Opera's Abduction From the Seraglio at the last minute this week, I took over running rehearsals.  The cast did great work while the director was away, and were very open (and patient!) with what guidance I felt I could give them.  I was nervous for him to come back and see the small changes we'd made as things smoothed out a bit.  I normally would not presume to change blocking the director had specifically set, but there was a moment between Nerone and Poppea that just wasn't working.  When Michael saw what we had done with it, he loved it!  He said he'd been thinking about that moment all week, and that what we had done to change it was exactly what he was planning to do.  I was so greatful for that validation, and for the trust he put in me.

All-in-all a very successful evening, even with the crazy weather.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE that you've had that wonderful experience! He sounds like a great director and a perfect mentor for you. You're wonderful and it seems he sees that!

    ReplyDelete