.
Ok. I just thought this was funny.
Today I went to a restaurant that was apparently not really open yet. There is a new Maglebys near BYU and their entire wait staff was on deck training, so they were letting whoever walk in off the street to give the servers experience before the craziness of a grand opening. Having been a server myself, it was kind of cute to see all these 19 year-old cougars trying to "do everything right". I had a lime in my cranberry juice without having to ask for it, I was given a soup spoon almost as soon as I'd sat down because I'd neglected to grab one from the buffet (it's a little creepy that they were watching that close), and I think I really made the busser's day when I let him take my plate. Probably everyone working in the restaurant that day walked up and asked how things were, or if they could get us a refill on bread, or drinks, and if they could "get some of these (2) plates out of your way". It was a tad smothering, and I felt a little like a piece of poop in the grass with a bunch of black and white-aproned flies buzzing around. But as I said, it was pretty cute.
I did leave an above average tip after all that effort, but I felt a little like the guy who walks up to an annoying street musician and says "here! I'll give you a dollar to Shut Up!"
just an hour earlier i was driving past there and telling that story, although i was emphasizing the awkwardness part of the story, including (but not limited to) it being a "soft opening" and us being the only couple in the whole restaurant (waiter to customer ratio 17:1) and not even wanting buffet food but that being the only option.
ReplyDeletebut they did get an E for effort.