Friday, September 24, 2010

Guy Drawing a Tree

.
When I started this blog, I sort of un-officially made a deal with myself that I wouldn't post a pic. on here unless I had taken it myself.  Therefore the pic you get today is one I took walking up to my car after school one day.  I'm assuming this guy is an art student.  He had his earbuds in, so I didn't feel the need to disturb him to ask for permission to take his picture.  (sorry random art student!)  I thought it was kind of ironic, in a way, me taking a picture of him making a picture of a tree.  Now all we need is someone behind me doing a performance art piece that symbolizes the layers of me, and the guy, and the tree. 

I walk past this tree every day, and of course every day it looks a little bit different.  So, if you see this tree pop up in subsequent blog posts you can think about the symbolic meaning of the tree changing, and yet staying the same--the cycles of life, and the fleeting nature of a moment.  (hmm.  I guess now I don't completely hate Monet's haystack series) I reminds me of the old addage about the constance of change.


But I think, even though there are changes in our lives, there are things that will always stay the same.  I will always have the friendship and love of some certain people in this world, whether they stick around through the changes in my life or if that friendship remains bright only in my memory.  The work that has been accomplished in building that friendship doesn't go away, though it may be set aside for a time.  I think this is true of most relationships in my life: sisters, friends, step-parents, step-brothers, co-workers, dance partners, and those few guys I have dated that I actually still have respect for. 

I was thinking about this yesterday: how I am greatful for the guys I've been privileged to get to know and learn things from by dating them.  Some of them have come along at crucial points in my life, in time to teach me things I needed to become the person I am.  I also thought about those "best friends" I had at one point, but lost touch with.  Miss you guys, but I still love you (Liesel, Charity, Katrina, Sarah, Tee, Liz, Laura, Trevor, Carrie-Ann...ah! so many people I've lost touch with! if you're not on this list, it means I still consider myself "in touch" with you ;)  I always love those times when my sisters are my best friends.  Those come and go, just like the seasons, as we're each in different places in our lives (and the country).

And I don't want to downplay this (or cheapen it), but I am really greatful for the relationship I've built with my Father in Heaven.  For me, sometimes it's like those friends you have because they are the ones who keep calling you, but sometimes I've been the one reaching out for help from Him.  That is when I've gotten to know Him the most.  That is one relationship I'm greatful will always be there.

So, I guess the question is: "if you were a tree, what tree would you be?"

Me:  "um,  that one"


1 comment:

  1. this is an interesting post, how it changes from an observation of a tree (your thought about someone doing an interpretation of you photographing the guy drawing the tree reminds of norman rockwell's "self-portrait" picture, but taken to the next level) to musings about change in life to a recognition of the beauties of friendship and wrapping up in a spiritual moment.

    i like it.
    and it was something good for me to read, which i needed.

    ReplyDelete