2am posting...I am anticipating something fantastic! (sincerity)
Actually, I really like days like today. I got to see an awesome movie, and anyone who knows me knows that I get really into movies; I jump when the aliens attack, I scream at the people about to turn the corner into the chainsaw murderer, I give relationship advice to the people in romantic comedies who will obviously get together anyway without my help....
So when I see an awesome movie, it can really color my life for a few hours (or days in some cases). Today I finally watched Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World in an effort to catch up on my summer movies. I loved it. Laughed the whole way through, and just marveled at the creativity of the whole thing (are we looking at the birth of a new genre?). It did a great job of sucking me in to the "life" -or not- of the modern hipster punk scene. Made me feel like a twenty-something without a care in the world; no attachments to anything more meaningful than weekend plans and the few friends floating around in this same life that manage to cling to you like fuzz on corduroy pants - but in a good way. Soundtrack was amazing, but looking into buying it on itunes, I find two versions: the "original score" and the "soundtrack". Not really sure which one to buy?
It's interesting to me how much I heard growing up that video games inhibit the development of imagination (among other cognitive activities), but it's been a while since I've seen something more creative (and clever!) in a theater. There definately is a culture surrounding gaming, and it seems to be growing it's own version of artistic self-expression (paradoxically within the context of the games created by someone else).
It's also interesting to see a new stage in human development forming in our society: "not-hood" (older than adolescent, but not yet requried by responsibility and caring about the future to step fully into adulthood). It truly is the ideal stage of life for an -ok let's be honest- selfish individual. You're not confined by the under-age-ness of adolesence, and you're not tied to a spouse or kids, career, mortgage, student loans, future building...so you have the freedom to do whatever you want with whatever resources you have. A lot of fun, but it still seems kind of empty.
I guess now that I'm 29 (happy birthday me) I'm getting further away from the sort of crowd that is too cool to care but instinctively knows what is "in" and what is blase'. My own adolesence, or not-hood, has been extended somewhat. I am in college and single, so it's not too much of a stretch to feel for a night like part of the world where nothing exists beyond the immediate, and the parts of life surrounding "being grown-up" still carry a little bit of glamour or mystery. It's a fun sort of indulgence.
But hey, I bought some new shoes tonight, and I think they're pretty awesome :)


dang, you do write late at night....
ReplyDeletefirst off, those are some seriously awesome shoes! i dig (especially the small black and white polka dot trim; it's small, but it really makes the shoes!).
and nice work on the pictures of them. i really like the first shot. : )
"friends floating around... that cling to you like fuzz on corduroy pants": love it.
my brother will vehemently defend the cognitive benefits of video games, and while i am not a major proponent of them, i am certainly not against them, and enough of my childhood was wrapped up in the 8-bit nintendo world to have caught some of the even more obscure jokes and references in the movie. it really is a lot of fun though, and i'm glad you enjoyed it. one of the best movies of the summer, and that's cool.
i've never heard the term of "not-hood" before (did you just coin it?) but it certainly does describe that growing demographic. kind of the present-day equivalent of the disaffected gen-xers of the early and mid-90s.
and while i'm a few years old than the kids in the movie, i think that, in a lot of ways, that's what my life was like in provo. and that's not a bad thing entirely; there were many, many aspects of it that were very good and wonderful and healthy and that i dearly loved.
but sometimes there is that emptiness and eventually you have to move out and on, if only to feel the winds of change on your face.
but, for what? career? meh. i'll take friends over career.
according to "up in the air", it's family that's most important.
i agree.
so, how did end up in college station, tx? to quote from another movie by "scott pilgrim's" director, it's for "the greater good."
(dang, this turned into a MUCH longer "comment" than i intended. hope that's ok : )
(it's kind of lame that, to make a minor edit, you have to delete your post and then repost it)
glad to know it was only aminor edit and not some big rant you felt guilty about later. ;)
ReplyDeleteimportant: they actually aren't polka dots...they're STARS!!! (love stars) so it makes them even more awesome. And my camera sucks so you can't tell, but they're electric pink :)
Thanks for the comments on gaming and singlehood. I tend to agree: it is family that makes one want to move "onward and upward". Friends are awesome, and I love this era of my life and how i get to enjoy the friend time, but eventually family is just...more.
dang, forgot to say this the first time:
ReplyDeletere: scott pilgrim cds: "original score" will be the "score", the instrumental and background music. the "soundtrack" is all of the cool songs that you heard and thought were cool. unless you're one of those people who notices the score...
as long as i'm here,
stars?? i'm all about stars! and electric pink? ok, now i definitely give my stamp of approval on these new kicks and hope i get to see them sometime soon....