Saturday, May 7, 2011

Choice

.
My ability to choose is the greatest thing I have. 

Though I have been taught this my whole life, I find I still misuse, misunderstand, and neglect this privilege.  I try to give it away.  The problem, I think, is that I don't want to choose my actions from day to day...I want to choose the results from those actions.  I don't want to make choices and hope they bring me happiness...I want to be told which avenues to persue to bring me the things I want from life.  I want to be sure of the outcome before setting my course.  Though this might be a good thing in some situations, I'm not sure I am applying it well in the one I'm in now.

I really want to have a family (though I frequently wonder if I would even be capable of handling thinking about people besides me that much), but I don't want to make a "mistake" in finding my future husband.  I love my family the way it is, step families and all, and I couldn't ask for a better one--but I am terribly afraid of getting divorced someday.  I am paralyzingly occupied with finding the "right one"; so much so, that I think I'm looking for someone else (namely, God) to tell me when I've found the right one.  I think I am hoping that I will meet someone, and come to be so sure about him that it isn't even a question anymore wheather I should marry him or not.  That isn't right.  I need to choose for myself.  Love is as much about faith and work as it is about butterflies and romance. 

Yet, at the same time, I know how difficult it is for me to make good decisions regarding dating relationships.  I have frequently talked myself into relationships that aren't right because I really wish they were.  I don't like being alone, and I really would like that "next phase" of my life to start soon, but I don't want my eagerness to make my decision for me anymore that I want my fear to prevent me from making it.

1 comment:

  1. I spent half an hour this morning on a message to you here on your blog and I guess I forgot to do the little word scramble thingy and it is lost. In a nutshell I advised you that you need to make this decision on your own and let the chips fall where they may, When the chips fall make new decisions and then more decisions and on and on..... You will always have results that you didn't expect but that's the very joy of life itself. The JOURNEY!!!!

    ReplyDelete