.
I was just thinking...
On my bedside table is a picture of me and my mom, taken when she and Kelly were both randomly in NYC. I drove up from my little town in rural NJ and we all ate at cafe Fiorello's across from Lincoln Center. I spent the night with them in their hotel and drove back to work early the next morning. A quick trip, but for me, living 4,000mi away from home, it was some much needed family time.
That picture is held in a beautiful beaded frame given to me for my birthday by Laura Mackay--a gorgeous blonde with impeccable taste and above average intelligence who I was lucky enough to share meals and Grey's Anatomy with when we both danced with the Roxey Ballet.
The pearlescent frame was given to my by my surrogate family in New Jersey, the Schwantes. Leland was our company manager, an amazingly humble and charitable human being that made life in a job I hated worthwhile. He taught me the secret to success in life: "he who has the most fun, wins!". Anne, a spitfire personality and excellent actress, was our queen in Cinderella. She had the same shoes as Cher, a sneaky pink streak in her hair, and her humor always cheered me up. Their two boys, Connor and Beau, danced at the Mill School where I taught and were just as sweet and gregarious as their parents.
For a long time I couldn't find a picture worthy of such a gorgeous frame, but when I took out my endowment, I bought this picture of the Jordan River Temple to comemmorate the day. The colors are stunning, and so are the memories.
The decorative boxes were a Christmas present from my favorite sister, Kelly. That year I spent by myself because I couldn't afford to fly home from Chicago. I made Grandma's German pancakes Christmas morning and opened my presents by myself. Kelly knew how much I was enamored of trinkety boxes, and she sent me this set filled with inspiring quotes written on tiny slips of paper. It was the best present I got that year.
The table is full of memories too. It was a gift from my first roommates in Chicago. At the time I had absolutely no furniture, and was sleeping on clothes and blankets folded on the floor. This small piece was very much appreciated, and I've carted it around with me ever since, even when I've left all the other furniture I'd acquired behind.
The rose that sits there currently is from a very dear friend on the occasion of my "big show". I had spent so much time putting Le Coeur Jeune together, and put so much of myself into it, it became much more than just a performance to me. I was so nervous on opening night, but this sweet gesture made it much easier to smile and nod when I had to.
The black lamp I bought at Ikea with Malorie and Cid. What a great day! 4mo Cid was just getting used to his vocal chords and would announce his presence in each new fake room with the most adorable squeakings and squawkings. I had to get the black shade because it goes so well with the picture on the wall.
The sharpee drawing on the wall behind my bed is a print of my favorite Kelly picture. I tell everyone that it was inspired by me, but maybe that's just wishful thinking. It's one of only 5? in the world, and I think it's breathtaking. I greets me everyday when I come home to sit in my bed and type away at my mountain of papers.
It's amazing what little things can carry such weight. This set-up (or some configuration of it) has sat beside my bed everywhere I have moved in the past six years, and has almost come to personify what I think of as "home" for me. Many thanks to those of you who have contributed :)
Here's to the next place I get to call home. (may I find you soon!)

How sweet and warm and lovely! It's so nice that you have these things for reminders.I love you!
ReplyDeleteAmazing that your nightstand holds such meaning for you. It must be lovely falling asleep next to that each night, (or should I say early morning?) I also like that you said Kelly is your favorite sister. She's my favorite too. :) I love you both a ton!
ReplyDelete